I am dedicating this post to my new favorite student, Isaac. He shares the same name as my son, but he is a new Isaac who has breezed into my life and stolen my heart. He is the student who took a chapter book home last night and stayed up until 10:00 o'clock reading it. He is the one who has earned 4.5 AR reading points when I told the class they each had to have 3 points by Friday. And today is Tuesday. He is the one with the constant smile, the tireless energy, the spring in his step,and the eternal optimism in his attitude. You always hope for at least one student who can inspire the class and lead. And then, when you get one that shines so obviously, you try and you try not to favor them...not to select them...to make them take their turn. Sometimes it is soooo hard, because you want to scream and shout and hug them to pieces and yell a hallelujah every once in a while. They are the ones that make you feel that you are a gifted teacher because they soak up everything you say and regurgitate it back much more intelligently than you taught it. So this post is for Isaac -- advanced on his CSAP math; proficient in reading and writing (one of the two in the room proficient in writing.) Such a joy and such an inspiration.
I have others I adore and all others I enjoy, but this post is for the one that today made his teacher's heart sing and made her remember again and again why she went into the field of education.
This is why I couldn't teach special ed. It's hard not to favour students that are really with the program. It sounds like you're having fun.
ReplyDelete