Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's a Wrap

Ja, I am a week through CSAP's and one more week left to go. I feel this strange weight slipping off my shoulders and I am starting to think about working out again and obsessing over something like my health instead of obsessing over how to beat the odds with high-risk students. I find myself chalking the school year up to trying harder and being smarter at the craft of teaching next year. I already have a biz-zillion ways that I know that I can teach it better next year. So between now and then, I have about six months to get my body back in shape. This year, evidently, is practically a wrap. I am happy, but I am sad. I am sad that I am hoping for 25% proficient in writing, 40% in reading, and 50% in math--and that I don't even know if we will accomplish that. I was hoping that this year would be the year we would knock it out of the ball park. 'tis a difficult task for sure. Next year, in Jerusalem.

Celeste Aguilar emailed me this week (finally) from Talcahuano. She said that their house is still standing (hallelujah) and it suffered minor damage. She said they are running short especially on flour and that they have no clean water, plumbing, and electricity is come and go. She said that the news reports do not give justice to how dire the situation is in the area. Pobrecitos. She said that tonight it is raining outside and that she feels guilty being in her home knowing that so many are sleeping out in the rain and mourning lost love ones. It gives one pause. I am so thankful to hear of their relative safetly and that they are dry.

2 comments:

  1. I have a good luck sweater you can wear to help with CSAP. It has shoulder pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, at last you have found a use for the quarterback sweater. I'm sure it could do no harm -- but then again it might be a terrible distraction to my students:)

    ReplyDelete