Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Talcahuano


Here is a picture that was in today's newspaper of Talcahuano, the city in which I served for 9 months and lived with the Aguilar family. They have no potable water, no electricity, little food, and no access by freeway to northern Chile. I haven't heard yet from the Aguilar family. It is a sad, sad, situation for them I am sure. They emailed last week to let me know that Karina, a married daughter in her upper 20's had succumbed to cancer. And now this. It is not a desirable thing to be in the national news and to make the paper half-way 'round the world in Denver, CO. I am so grateful to the church. I check in with MormonHaven.com to check the humanitarian efforts of the church in Chile. 4% of the population in Chile is LDS (vs 2% here.) The church reports that all of the missionaries are accounted for and that only three LDS members are reported to be dead. I live with that comfort--that and knowing that the Bishop Storehouses will be helping the members with food and necessities. Que Dios les bendiga a todos.

2 comments:

  1. It's just so heartbreaking. Let me know when you hear from the Aguilars. What a tragedy of unbelievable proportions! It is nice Abby missed out on that adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one picture says more than all the broadcast news I have hears so far.

    ReplyDelete